Apple’s iPhone Recycling Robot Shifts Gears

As more companies look to address E-scrap recovery, some are moving away from gentle dismantling and instead aiming for speed – and Apple is now one of them. Apple’s experiments into iPhone-dismantling technology started in 2013. The newest robot – named Daisy – takes 18 seconds to dismantle a unit, is smaller than previous models, and can handle far more device types.

2 Likes

Hey Brooks,

Spot on with your observation. As someone who’s been in the industry for a while, I find Apple’s shift towards speed with Daisy quite significant. It’s a smart move considering the volume of e-waste we deal with annually. Daisy’s ability to handle 29 different iPhone models is impressive, and reducing the physical footprint while increasing efficiency is no small feat.

What’s really interesting to me is the shift from the meticulous dismantling process to a more rapid ‘punch-out’ method. It speaks volumes about where the industry is heading – prioritizing speed without compromising too much on the recovery rate. This is crucial if we’re to make a dent in the massive amounts of e-scrap generated each year.

Apple’s decision to open up Daisy’s IP for free licensing is a game-changer. It sets a precedent for other companies to follow suit, fostering innovation across the board. In the long run, this could significantly boost the recycling rate and reduce the environmental impact.

It’s good to see tech giants and companies like Garner Products pushing the envelope. Their innovations are paving the way for more efficient and sustainable e-scrap management practices. Let’s hope this trend continues and others in the industry take note.

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice article, I had to see this in action. Here’s the YouTube video I found. Pretty cool!

1 Like