IT Disposition - Staff Buy Back Program

Hi,

Has anyone here have a process in place for an employee buyback program for their IT Disposition where a 3rd party is involved in the reselling part?

Cheers,
Dan

I stood up one with a prior employer some years back. Key for us removing the company from the transaction. Here’s a summary of a one generic flow.

Device classified as pending disposal (no harvest or redeployment value)
ITAD service picks up, transition status to “Disposed”
ITAD conducted needed checks that moves to scrape/parts or Resale

• Stage 1 lands on their website for our employees to see (2 weeks) no fees to company for reclaim, resale
  • Stage 2 lands on non-profit of your choice (2 weeks) no fees same as Stage 1
  • Stage 3 hits open market for proceed share

Again key is do NOT managed the resale. Been there, employees will want support, software, etc, remove yourself from the equation but have in terms to offer lower than market pricing as employee benefit. Also do NOT offer “We can sell you your exact old PC” it’s what is, as is available on 3rd party site.

4 Likes

I’ve done what @Bryant suggested, and still have that same program in place. It works well and keeps us out of managing it. From an ITAM perspective and in our system of record, we consider these devices to be disposed.

2 Likes

We have not gone that route as buyers expect IT support from the company and more complaints than thanks!!

1 Like

Completely agree with Bryant and Elise here - the key is to use a certified refurbisher. There tend to be many small local players which can help minimise shipping costs, or you can scale up to national/international refurbishers. 20+ years ago I worked for an organisation with a large field sales operation which burnt through laptops quickly. The local refurb had staff actually onsite taking laptops we’d disposed of, re-imaging them, and selling direct to employees. Still have one in working order believe it or not - a IBM Thinkpad X31.
Good way to check for local players is to search for refurbs on eBay. As I’m sure you’re aware there’s a big demand for used hardware at present so if you’ve got a steady stream of hardware available you’ll be able to negotiate a good deal.

1 Like

“Sustainable Technology” is becoming a ‘thing’.

Marketplaces like this becoming very common.

Even the manufacturers are getting in on the act.

Kindest Regards,

Michael Buchanan.