Asset Processing with Unknown Serial Numbers until shipment

Hello
I am seeking your experience in how you and your teams, are processing assets, when the laptop is being directly shipped to the user from the vendor, resulting in the serial number not being known until the shipment is in progress.
Regards
Lis

1 Like

Welcome Lis

If we assume this direct to user fulfillment is happening from a vendor like Dell, your best option is probably to just capture the information as it happens. As soon as you learn the serial number and shipment information you can add it and fill in other details.
If however these devices are pre ordered in bulk you may be able to get an inventory from the vendor for the products they are storing on your behalf.
James

1 Like

Hi @Lisjenkja ,
this is a very common scenario when you have multiple locations or the vendor ships directly to employee. Ask the vendor to send you a list of all devices with serial numbers and specs they are charging you for.
Upload list to your CMDB with a status of “shipped”.
Only when they are checked into a store room or the employee receives it should the status be updated to “received”.

Check the CMDB for any device flagged as “shipped” over 10 days. These are moved to your exception list to be investigated.

I recommend you reconcile all vendor device lists going back 12 month against your current inventory. I found devices in the vendors warehouse they said were shipped but had not been delivered.

good luck

2 Likes

@Lisjenkja—whether a VAR or a direct vendor, they should be able to supply the serial numbers of the shipped devices and the devices in inventory. A data feed to your HAM database associated with the request or ticket number and the appropriate user assigned to the asset would be ideal.

1 Like