Computer Assets used for Training or Kiosk

Hello, how do you manage computer assets used for training that can potentially be turned off for an extended period and so the devices are not being discoverable on the network because they are turned off until next class training? As an IT asset admin, how do I know that the assets is off and not actually missing lost/stolen?

1 Like

You could tag them as training or loaner assets for context on assets that are off the network for extended periods. If they are returned to storage between training sessions, built-in workflows can be used to check them and and check them out before and after each training session. There are also workflows for stock room audits to scan barcodes with mobile apps a local tech could quickly do if RFID tags aren’t available.

2 Likes

We use a value (Network Connected = No/ Intermittently Connected ) to signify those assets we don’t expect a reliable scan within 30 days but know they are still with us. Examples might be for running quarterly processes or used on demand for specific tasks outside of a normal 30 day window.

2 Likes

Hi Bryant, when you say you use a value (Network Connected) is this an option under the state menu on the hardware asset record?

1 Like

It is an attribute we have in ServiceNow under Asset Management that is manually set. You could somewhat automate that as well if you had a lookup table to flag those devices you know fit that value setting for example

1 Like

Another option would be to create a specific location value for the kiosk area or training rooms, and exempt them from your standing audit reports. (Usually the report is looking for a discovery date of something like last seen >30days. You could add a condition to the report to include and is not in location=kiosk). But I would also recommend setting up a separate regularly scheduled Asset Audit against those locations so that any change to the expected location is being actively monitored, i.e. making sure someone is physically confirming status periodically for items not online. So they don’t impact the actively monitored report, but aren’t forgotten about as a special case.

2 Likes

We recently set up a similar scenario for a customer.
Using Lansweeper you generate barcodes for the training assets, when running a report of assets not seen over 30 days on the network you can scan the training asset bar codes to update they aren’t missing.

1 Like

Hi James, what is Lansweeper? Is this an application that will need to be integrated with our ServiceNow tool?

1 Like

Yes, Lansweeper is an Asset Discovery Software that can integrate with a CMDB for Service Now data enrichment. I sent you a separate message as I believe the forum is about discussing solutions and options, not advertising. :slight_smile:

1 Like