Track laptops over the internet

Hi all

What is the way to track laptops over the internet?

Regards
Sajith

In order to answer this, we first need to know exactly what are you trying to track? The physical device when it is turned on? The physical device when it is turned off? Software on that device?

Both - we need to know when the device gets turned on and host name etc details.

And 2nd what s/w are installed in that machine.

OK, you will need to install at least an inventory agent or a full blown systems management agent, as both will be able to upload their data to cloud or dmz collection points related to a product backend.

My company have products that cover both types of agent scenarios, depending upon your need.

Sajith,

Just to add - many organizations have SCCM (for Windows) and/or JAMF(For Macs) which manage laptops and will be able to feed software installs and/or usage into whatever your asset management system is. There are also other options out there, but if you already have either of these, you’ll likely get most of what you need from them.

James

1 Like

We do have SCCM… but that’s for the system if it’s on an office LAN or connects via VDI / VPN…

Was looking for any service / product that could track when the system is on the internet.

Regards
Sajith

1 Like

Sajith,
Lansweeper can help with this in an easy and cost effective way. We us the solution to keep track of our equipment that is “on the move” Check www.lansweeper.com for more details.

have a look at Absolute solution (Platform | Editions | Absolute ). It´s an interesting solution using BIOS embedded agent which allows between others to identify lost/stolen PCs even if they are re-imaged. If used by employees, it allows compliance enforcement (you can set baseline of 3-4 agents which need to be enforced i.e. SCCM, AV agent or VPN) and enforce it´s installation on corporate PC even if the PC is not connected to corporate NW.

1 Like

Hi anon,

Could you tell me a little about yourself and your company, and what types of inventory agents you have available? This is actually relevant to my recent post you can find here: Software suggestions needed I’d appreciate it if you could add your input there, thanks.

1 Like