Monitoring software assets on remote computers outside VPN

Hello All,

Tracking of software assets and their usage on the remote computers, which are outside the company network has been one of the key challenges in the Software Asset Management.

How to ensure that software installed on the computers which are not connected to the company network (VPN) are tracked ?

Suggestions and ideas please.

Thanks,
Abhijeet

1 Like

If it helps, ServiceNow’s Agent Client Collector can be used for off-network, highly secure air-gapped networks for purposes of use cases like SAM, Security, Monitoring, Service Management, etc.

Store App for Agent Client Collector

2 Likes

Thanks @ryan.woodtaylor

Could you help me to understand how does the Agent reports the usage/details to the central server without connecting the computer to the company network or VPN ?

1 Like

From my site I can recommend products based on agents that collect information about machines.
I work with ManageEngine products and we successfully implement SAM projects for our clients.

If you want to talk about it, feel free to write: dorota.michalowicz@mwtsolutions.eu

2 Likes

Thanks @dorota.michalowicz

1 Like

Many companies have Microsoft SCCM/MEMCM or on the Apple side, JAMF, which can, when the network side is configured correctly, still control remote computers on the company domain even if they’re not VPN’d, and that would include the software installation & usage information.

Separately if you also have SAAS related software to track, a system like ServiceNow can help leverage it’s connections to help you track numerous SAAS products even if you’re not on the VPN, including Usage related metrics. (though this does involve paying for some of the additional modules)

James

2 Likes

This short video has an overview of the various ServiceNow agent use cases, but unfortunately doesn’t mention the air-gapped network use case. I’m happy to connect you with the product team if you’d like to learn more about how data gets collected to the mid-server for those off the network environments. ryan.woodtaylor@servicenow.com. I remember the team got a patent for it about a year ago.

2 Likes

We use Flexera and drop a “Beacon” server for collections in the DMZ with policy on Laptop for remote device to find it’s way home providing us no break in inventory updates.

3 Likes

This seems interesting @Bryant
Thanks for sharing this information.

1 Like