Have you combined HAM and SAM policies, or are they separate?

Hello all
I’m interested to hear how other organisations have structured their ITAM Policies. Have you included Hardware and Software into a single overarching ITAM policy, or have you separated them into individual documents? I’m, sure there are pros and cons either way, but very interested to hear other thoughts.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Aaron! I’m sure a good answer will come your way shortly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aaron,
in our case we have one overaching ITAM Policy and underpinned to it several IT Asset related standards.
In function of the requirements adressed in partilcur standard (e.g. procurement, contracting, asset recovery/disposal, licensing, core data etc etc) they are common or HW/SW specific.
Our preference was to have a common standard, but there are some specific topics (e.g. license management) that they need to be either SE or HW centric.

2 Likes

We have an overarching ITAM policy that speaks to all areas that is supported by 3 standards documents one each for Application, Hardware, Software. Within each standard are purpose, scope, definition and controls. The standards documents are complimented by a procedure for each of the 3 areas to provide guidance for every control described within the standards to include responsibilities, ownership, process and exceptions. To ensure conformance we have targeted metrics and on demand training.

I went farther than simply speaking to HAM, SAM policies to provide a bit of the overall governance framework that work to support and enforce the policies set forth

2 Likes