ServiceNow Feedback

Hello! Is anyone in higher education utilizing ServiceNow for SAM? I’m interested in hearing personal experience stories!

2 Likes

We (University of Colorado Boulder) have ServiceNow and explored using it for SAM, but went in a different direction. I’m curious to hear how others in higher ed are using it.

2 Likes

Hi Dan! Would you be willing to share which direction you went? We’re slowly investigating all options, and would love to know why you went a different way (Im’ guessing cost)

1 Like

Hi Emily,

Surprisingly, cost wasn’t the driving factor. The short version is, we used an RFP to select our SAM platform and ServiceNow did not respond to the RFP despite repeated requests to our account team to do so. Unfortunate but we were not able to consider them once we started the RFP process.

One cost ramification of the vendor we did select through RFP (Eracent) is that they charge by the (managed) client and not by users/administrators. So we can have essentially unlimited administrators. Part of SN’s cost model is that they charge for each “ITIL user” (e.g. someone who has an elevated role), and as a campus with a distributed endpoint management model, we would have a lot of ITIL users wanting to use SAM Pro functionality. I can’t tell you how the cost comparison would have worked out but there is one to be made - and it’s probably worth exploring how each SAM vendor’s cost model works (even in broad strokes such as per client, per user, per software licensing, etc).

3 Likes

Wow - really interesting stuff. Thank you so much for this info!

1 Like

I should add that our RFP requirements were very robust. It’s possible that SN and others looked at them and decided that they couldn’t meet them, or that it was too difficult to attempt to meet the requirements. But I don’t have insight into what they may have been lacking in their solution, if anything, to meet our requirements.

2 Likes

Hi Dan,

Apologies that no one from ServiceNow responded to you. I can assure you it wasn’t due to not meeting requirements :slight_smile: . Based on the vendor you selected, we can certainly exceed all of those base use cases as well as offer advanced ones that are only possible when you run ITAM on your IT Platform.

I saw your security requirements on another thread. Happy to introduce you to the right folks to discuss if you’re still interested.

-Ryan
ryan.woodtaylor@servicenow.com

1 Like

ServiceNow charges per Subscription Unit, which is essentially per number of assets managed. Other ServiceNow products may have charged per user in the past, but has never been the case for ITAM. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification on charging units, Ryan. I expected that ServiceNow would base asset charges on the number of assets. We never got that far with estimates. What I was referring to (aside from that) is that at least under our agreement, we have a limited number of ITIL users. Because our university’s IT operates under a partially decentralized model, we would need to offer elevated ServiceNow roles (such as ITIL user) to many department asset managers, thus increasing the total cost of the solution. Again, this is from my estimate of our current agreement and clearly there would be a different proposal, and also, perhaps the charging per ITIL user has evolved and I’m not current on the charging model.

1 Like